Admissions and Appeals
To apply for a place, please visit the ‘Apply for a Place’ section of the website.
Applications for the 2021 intake will be dealt with by Thurrock Council and you should apply through them.
Sports Aptitude Admission
The school admits up to 12 students (10%) each year on sports aptitude. If you wish to apply via this route, please note the details below:
- You must complete both the Local Authority application form and the school application form
- The school form must be returned to the school by 12th October 2020
- Application forms are available to download from the website – see link below – or by contacting the school
- Sports Aptitude testing begins the week beginning 19th October 2020
- Results will be posted home during half-term and will be with parents before the Local Authority Application deadline
Thurrock’s Secondary Admission booklet can be found here
Notification of a school place & Appeals
National offer day is the 1st March 2021. Parents will be informed of their school place on this date.
Should you not be successful in securing a place at Orsett Heath Academy for your child(ren), you have the right of appeal to an Independent Appeals Panel. For further details regarding the appeals process, or to request an Appeal Pack, please contact Mrs Oxland (after the 1st March 2021) by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephoning 01375 486 000. Alternatively, you may wish to download an appeal form by clicking the link at the bottom of this page.
- National Offer day 1st March 2021
- Closing date for appeals to be submitted 16th April 2021
- Closing date for additional information 7th May 2021
- Paperwork submitted to the Clerk 21st May 2021
- Appeals heard during week commencing 21st June 2021
12th October 2020 – Sports Aptitude Application Deadline
19th October 2020 – Week commencing for Sports Aptitude Testing
28th October 2020 – Sports Aptitude Results posted home before the Thurrock Application deadline
31st October 2020 – Thurrock Admissions Deadline
1st March 2021 – Outcome of applications notified by Thurrock Council
When the school is oversubscribed, after the admission of pupils with an Education, Health and Care plan or a Statement of Special Educational Needs naming the school, priority for admission will be given to those children who meet the criteria set out below, in priority order:
- Looked after children and children who were previously looked after but immediately after being looked after became subject to adoption, a child arrangements order, or special guardianship order
- Next, 10% of the PAN will be allocated to children who have demonstrated an aptitude in our specialist subject area, which is sports
- Priority will next be given to the children of staff who have been recruited to fill a skills shortage area
- Priority will next be given to children attending one of the following feeder schools: Stifford Clays, Deneholm, Chadwell St Mary, Little Thurrock and Woodside
- Other children
Applications will be ranked within each of the over-subscription criteria according to their proximity to the school. Distance is measured from the child’s front door to the main gate of the school. The distance will be measured in a straight line using a digital mapping system.
The address on the application must be your child’s permanent place of residence, not a business, relative, or carer/childminder’s address. You may not use a temporarily rented address to secure a school place for your child.
The address will normally be the parents’ address. If the parents do not live together, it should be the address of the parent with whom the child spends the majority of time with. This will normally be the address held by the primary school and the address of the parent who receives child benefit in respect of the child.
If the final place allocated is to a family with twins or multiple births, the academy will offer a place to the additional students.
If there is a tie for the final place where the students are from separate families, a place will be offered to both students
Orsett Heath Academy are consulting on an amendment to their oversubscription policy. The amendment is to include a sibling criteria. Details can be found HERE. All comments should be sent to email@example.com by 4th December 2020.